From: Brian Doss
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 = 10:31 AM
Subject: Fuel Pump Performance Issues?

I have been = experiencing minor performance woes for a while now with my '88 =
2.1 liter.  At first, a little cutting out, and I had been worried about my =
idle being very erratic. So, I fixed and later replaced my AFM. Then, ECU, = O2
Sensor, Temp Sensor. Bus runs pretty good, but it seems that at = top end RPMs
there is a lack of power, And the idle still wavers a little. = Last thing I
tried was the fuel filter, but no improvement there. =  A mechanic friend
suggested replacing the fuel pump. So, I'm = wondering, those of you who have
replaced your fuel pumps, did you have any performance problems like mine
(caused by fuel pump), or is the = fuel pump failure more of a "go, no go"
catastrophic failure type of issue?

Thanks,

Brian Doss
'88 Weekender, Queequeg