I need some input here... I left Hilo = going north up the Hamakua coast on my way to Kailua-Kona yesterday... about 25 = minutes out of town, just as we got to the bottom of the first of three deep = horseshoe turns through gulches in the area, I heard a loud clunk... like I had run over = something that had hit the bottom of the van... or maybe something had = broken below.  As I slowed down rather quickly, there were a series of = sharp metal on metal sounds like the driveshaft was catching on something.  = Scared me to death... I tought the front diff had gone out or something.  Any = subsequent moving of the van created the same driveshaft catching metal = on metal sound every eight or ten feet.  Naturally I stopped the car as soon = as I could get safely to the shoulder which was at a very precarious position = in the bottom of the gulch where vehicles don't slow down much and visibility = is poor at best.  It was raining steadily.  I could see nothing amiss = below the van so I assumed the front diff (or something nearby) had broken internally.

Anyway, called a flatbed tow truck and = had the van trucked back to Hilo to my mechanic's shop... about 32 miles or = so.  Cost me $87... I was glad it wasn't more.  Today my mechanic told me the = left driveshaft had come apart from the CV joint.  Bolts were so twisted = they had to cut them off to repair... probably from the catching noise I experienced.  Somehow the bolts had managed to work their way = loose... question is why?  Tow cost me more than the repair (thank = God!).

Why in the world would this = happen?  The only background I can give is = that we recently rotated the tires, back to front and vice versa... not crossed, = no spare added.  All tires are Michelin MTX's and are evenly worn with = about 3/8" of tread on each.  Funny thing was, last week after we rotated = them she pulled to the left, against the crown of the road... badly enough = for me to be concerned about an alignment problem.  Unfortunately, I didn't = have time to check out the pull to the left prior to my trip. But, oddly = enough, there was no mis-alignment prior to the rotation.   So we have = now re-rotated (un-rotated?) the tires to the original positions and... = guess what... no more pull to the left.  Hmmm.  Also, checked tire = pressure upon return... all were at 38 except the right front which was at 40 for = some reason.

The CV and shaft had been disconnected = twice before... once when we installed a new VC and the other when we rebuilt = the gearbox (rear).  So, the initial suspicion is that they weren't put = back together tightly, right?  But that was about five months ago!  = My mech says if that were the case we probably wouldn't have gone more than a = few days before it came apart.  Over the past five months I've driven over = many very rough roads and not experienced any problem whatsoever.

So, first, could the tire rotation have = anything to do with the shaft/CV working it's way loose?  Seems pretty weird to = have been that, but we can't think of anything else.  And why would the = tire rotation cause a strong pull to the left?  Anybody have any = thoughts?  Concerns me for future trips, = especially here where there are only a few qualified mechanics and lots of places to get = stuck far away from them.  Yikes.

BTW, my mech is a very experienced VW = guy who races VW's and works on them full time in his own shop with his son and two = other guys.  He's worked on four of my vans over the years and I trust = him implicitly.  We talk over ever detail of every repair.  He's = taught me a lot of the little that I know (if that makes any sense).

TIA Volks!

Baffled in Hawaii...

Mick Kalber
89 Syncro Westy = "Daddeo"