In a message dated 4/26/2= 001 11:18:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Steering Parts Failure

      Steve, I have changed mine about a = year ago now.  I made a few posts
to the List about this and if you check the archives for steering u-join= t you
should find some info.  Mine had one of the four bearings seized up= so it was
tight not loose.  Causing the van to wiggle on the road like bad ti= res do.  I
kept suspecting the tires and went through hell trying to figure out wha= t was
going on.  That u-joint is available from VW only and expensive ! &= nbsp;Somebody
should figure out how to rebuild them.  I looked for bearing caps b= ut no luck
up here.  Some kinda weird size.  VW engineering department ag= ain trying to
screw us up.

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a = VW Camper event in Almonte, June 7-10
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stain= less Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli &a= mp; Associates or http://frankcondelli.com