Fuel pumps can fail at any time but the usual cause is running out of fuel clogged filter, low voltage to the motor or contamination. Since the pump is fairly easy to change, you can carry a spare.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 6:06 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Electric (injection) fuel pump life span?

Dear list:

I'm doing lots of work on an '86 Westy in preparation for a year on the road.  She's got
180K on her.  If there's even a 20% chance the fuel pump (which is the original) will
fail during that year (next 15-20K miles), I want to replace it.  Since the cost is $150
plus for the part, I don't want to do it unless necessary.

Any advice?  Thanks in advance.  Pmail should go to stevegough@emriver.com to avoid
list noise, please.