From: Gary Stearns
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 = 6:36 PM
Subject: Uh-oh, cooling system = way pressurized

Last Wednesday nite my kids and  = I drove the 5 hours to Killington, VT to catch the tail of spring skiing (turns = out it ain't the tail at all, they are planning to be open well into = June!).  At about 11:30 at nite on Rt. 91 North in the woods of Vermont with not = another car in sight, the coolant lite starts flashing.  Took the first = exit, pulled under a light and opened the engine hatch.  Main coolant = tank nearly empty.  Overflow tank, doing just that, in fact squirting = out the breather hole on the top. Allowed it to cool, topped the main tank = with some water and continued on.  OK for the next 4 days around = Vermont.  On the way home today, blink, blink again.  Same drill. Got home and = investigated.  Every bleeder burped air or something.  Many = hose connections were weeping as if under way too much pressure.  The = engine is a rebuild with about 20k on it, but I'm thinking that I must be = looking at combustion pressure getting into the cooling system; ie: failing head = gaskets.  Tell me I'm wrong; pleeeeese!
Gary