From: - = Lauren Pelzer
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 = 7:44 PM
Subject: Oil fill tube, = overheating, and stalling

Hi, = everyone -
Once again, I could use some advice.  I have a plain old '85 Vanagon. =

Here is some background:  On Thursday, after work, I = started it up and it did
not want to idle - stalling unless I kept my foot on = the gas.  I drove around
in circles in the parking lot for a = little while, and when it warmed up, it
ran and idled ok for the rest of = the trip home, but it has been doing this
every time I've started it since = then.  This morning, I had an oxygen sensor
installed - the last = thing I needed to pass emmisions inspection - and I also
had them change = the fuel filter.

On the way home from picking up the van, the = temp. light turned red and the
temp needle pegged all the way to the = right.  It was that way for about a
mile, then everything went back = to normal.  I got home, topped off the
coolant, and noticed the = oil filler tube and cap were missing.  The van still
does not = want to idle when I first start it up, and it is still doing the
sporadic overheating thing.

Ok, so here are my questions:
      Can any of these problems be = related to each other?
      I have ordered = a new fill tube and cap, but in the meantime, should I
put something = over the hole?  What?
      Should I = suspect the thermostat with this sporadic overheating
problem?
      Is it normal for the oil = filler tube to simply fall off?

Thanks in advance for your help! =
-Lauren