I think the brackets Michael is = refering to are called side loaders and top loaders.  Would think you'd want backup = plates to spread the stress on the glass top, lbut someone elsoe on the list = could be of more help that actually owns a westy.  The top and side loaders = run about $30/pr and canoe shops typically sell them too.  These = brackets aloow you to use the cheaper, but just as sturday QuickN Easy roof = brackets($45/set) and bolt either round bars to them or a cheap pair of 2x4's if cost is a = determining factor.  Good luck

Dimwitted moose and Flying = Squirrel
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Ramer
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 = 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: Thule or Yakima = rack part no's - Westy

Mick,

    Thule & Yakima both make rack tower = mounts that will fit to rain gutters and are tall enough to fit over the pop = top. Unfortunately, this prevents the pop top from being raised due to the = load bars over the top. The alternative is to mount the steel 'artificial = rain gutters' to the pop top to mount standard height rack towers as the PO = did to my Westy. I did the same to my truck's fiberglass camper shell = too. Strong enough for bikes, kayaks or a small roof rack. Don't know the = part #'s but any good bike shop should have some.

Aloha