Gary

    There are also metal = rings between the heads and sleeves. As I see it the metal rings seal the = combustion chamber and the little green "O" rings seal the cooling system.

Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Stearns
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:57 = PM
Subject: Pressurized Cooling = Sys./Cyl. Head

I've concluded that my head is = leaking exhaust into the coolant.   I still have our prior engine kicking = around with heads removed.  I took a look to remind myself of how the = cylinder barrels seal to the head to prevent this kind of leakage.  What I = found was a recess in the head the the barrel fits into, and a ridiculously = tiny insignificant little "o" ring around the barrel to seal it.  Is = that it? There seems to be no sealant or gasket material at all where the = barrel seats against the head!   Could my repair be as simple (!) as = removing the head and replacing this little "o" ring, or is it likely that I'm = actually looking at a cracked head?  Do these "o"rings fail?  This is = a rebuilt engine w/ about 20k on it.
Gary
2 down and maybe no more to go.  = Considering the TiiCo solution.