Volks,

I am slowly trying to get my early 1984 Westy roadworthy.  It has an engine
skip that won't go away and after running for about ten minutes, it just
quits.  After sitting overnight, it will crank up with no problems.  It also
loses power at about 5 mph in 1st, 20 mph in second, 35 mph in 3d and 49 mph
in 4th.  Is the second problem a symptom of a bad AFM?

I feel like the skip is spark related because, after it dies, I smell gas
when I try to crank it.  Has anyone had these symptons and what did you do to
fix it?

TIA,
John