Tried to replace the thermostate in my = 1985 Vanagon this weekend (1.9L).  It would appear that both of the bolts = holding the thermostat housing in place are frozen.  At least one bolt has the = heads kind of chewed off from an earlier attempt.

Grrrr.  How difficult is it to = remove the entire water pump? (I have AC to deal with here, it looks like that = might have to come out to get to all this).  And how might I hold the pulley = wheel in place to remove that--or is that removal even neccessary.  I'm = assuming if I get the entire pump out I can get the bolts for the thermostat housing = free, are those bolts available as replacement parts.

_____

Donald Baxter  Iowa City, = Iowa
(319) 337-0494
www.mindspring.com/~onanov

"Every family should have at least = three children. Then, if one is a genius, the other two can support him."
         -- George Coote.