on 5/9/01 12:10 AM, Jason Stevenson at jstv4man@home.com wrote:

Fellow listees-
I am in need of assistance again.  On my 1984 Vanagon, I went to repla= ce the bushings (VW officially refers to them as guides) on the bases of the= middle sliding side windows.  Upon checking with the dealer, and disco= vering that the originals were discontinued, I checked into whether the late= r model ones were still available.  They were, and I was told that the = only difference between them was that the later ones were black in color. &n= bsp;I ordered them, and received them promptly.  However, when I attemp= ted to install them, I hit a bit of a dead-end.  They obviously slide i= nto the existing slots and grooves in the window frame, but they have sort o= f a retaining tab about 3/4 of the way down them.  I could slide them o= n to that extent, but no further.  After monkeying around with it for a= few minutes, and trying several different tools to get them to slide in the= rest of the way, I stopped, because the plastic that they are made of is ra= ther soft, and I didn't want to damage the parts.
So, my question is this:  does anyone have any suggestions as to how t= o get these guides slid into place without damaging them, the window frame, = or the glass.  I'm sure there must be some small trick to it that I'm s= imply overlooking.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Jason Stevenson
1984 Vanagon
1998 Cabrio

I installed these on my 83.5 Westy by VERY CARFULLY trimming the tabs off a= nd continuing the slot. Use an exacto knife but think about where the blade = will go if you slip, because you can cut yourself very badly with this type = of blade. They do tend to slide out though...  I will try glueing them = in place soon.
--
Miguel