<<<Measured fuel= pressure:  36 psi at idle with vacuum connected.  42 psi (at
any engine speed) with vacuum line disconnected.  If increase engine s= peed
(with vac. connected), fuel pressure decreases (yes, DECREASES) to about= 32
psi.>>>

Stock pressure regulators pressure is set 29 with vacuum 36 without vacu= um.

When the engine increases RPMS, the vacuum increases and lowers the pres= sure.
 On my dual diaphragm adjustable fuel pressure regulator (I increas= ed the
stock cam duration by about 8 degrees and was told that this would lower= the
vacuum.  I think that with all the other changes to my engine, it w= as not
affected), it would drop down to 22 psi, I felt that this is too low. &n= bsp;I
tried different ways to restrict/reduce the vacuum, but none seemed to w= ork,
so I cut some holes in one of the diaphragms to reduce the pressure drop= .
That worked and the power increased at upper rpms (4000+).

You can get a stock regulator or a single diaphragm one from CB Performa= nce
and that set it to your engine.
Your regulator is damaged and giving you too high a fuel pressure even w= ith
the hose off.

<<<An observation:  I noticed that the position of the AFM wi= per is about 20
or 25% "open" with the engine idling.  This seemed surprisingly high t= o me,
but I have no reference.  Could be normal.>>>

Mine does the same during my testing.  At 4500 rpms the AFM was not= at full
swing either.

Robert