Hallelujah! FYI the Jetta and Golf odometers like to = do same thing.  Coincidence?  The world may never know.

Chris.
----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher T. Berchin
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 = 10:37 AM
Subject: Odometer fixed, thanks = to the list

Hi all.  When I bought my Vanagon a couple weeks ago, the = owner said that the odo had just stopped working.  He had gotten gas, reset = the trip odo, and then nothing.  Someone had posted to the list regarding = a Porsche odometer fix, suggesting that something similar may work on = the Vanagon.  Today I tore into my gauges, and I now have working odometers!  The problem wasn't exactly like the Porsche fix, but = it was similar. The rod that holds the odometer numbers had slipped outboard = over time, allowing the gear on the end to disengage from the worm gear below.  I pushed on the gear, and it was tight, but then the = whole rod clicked over positively about 3mm.  After a short spin around the = block, I verified that both trip odo and odo are working.  I'll keep an = eye on it to see if it continues to work.  At least now I know what the = problem is if it happens again.

If anyone else has the problem of the speedo working but the odos = are dead, check this out.  It was very simple to do - took me 40 = minutes, start to finish.  Thanks again to the list for being so = helpful!

Chris