Well it is that time of year again.  The weather is looking good, you are
starting to try on your shorts again, and now you are ready to do the work on
your van that you have been putting off all winter.  You know it is Spring
when we start to see postings about fuel line replacements and Pop Top Seal
replacements.  Ah the joy of it!

I myself have just done a Pop Top Seal replacement using the Seal Kits that I
sell for $79.95.  It comes with all the seals for the pop top and luggage
rack as well as instructions (well done) and Loctite glue.  Only extra tools
I would recommend are a paint scraper, some scotch brite scrubbing pads
(clean off old junk left behind by pop top seals), a razor knife, and some
soap and water.  The last pop top seal I removed the Previous Owner had
decided not to replace it and just gunked on the old seal with a ton of glue.
 This is a very bad idea because it made replacing the seal 5 times harder
than it would have normally been!  Also the seal had degraded to the point
where the front luggage rack was rubbing against the roof and had actually
rubbed a bare spot in the paint!  Under the front luggage rack there was
about 14 years worth of tree dirt and leaves, wasp nests, etc.  You will
never be sorry about doing this Pop-Top Seal right the first time.  It makes
the camper look better, and also helps the whole van to last longer and
retain it's value.  Put this on your "To-Do" list for this Spring.

Second Rite of Spring is Fuel Line replacement.  Your van is getting old (in
case you hadn't noticed).  My '91 Carat Vanagon is now 10 years old.  Do you
really think that your fuel lines should be expected to last 15-20 years
without leakage?  Do you think that the clamps in the system aren't already
so shot that if you touch them with your finger they aren't going to just
crumble to dust (happens here in the rust belt area alot)?  Do you think
doing a half-way job with braided hose and plumbing clamps from Home Depot is
a good idea (seen this many times)?
If you are going to do this, do it right.  The kit I sell comes with High
Pressure Continental 7mm hose (says "Made in Germany" on it), and 20
stainless Swedish clamps, and instructions.  There just isn't any better hose
or clamps out there or I would have them and put them in my kit.  The hose is
what VW put on there in the first place.  The clamps are what BMW uses on
thier cars.  Take a couple of hours and this kit and get some peace of mind
about your fuel lines.

Pick a nice day, get outside in the fresh air, and enjoy the Vanagon Rites of
Spring.  You will thank me later.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16