At 08:19 PM 5/17/01, Tom Salicos wrote:
Seems that during the winter, you could park really close to the Christmas Trees in the parking lot and, if you parked really close, you could pretend you were in a real forest.  Would save a WHOLE LOT of gas!

I've held back all morning, but now I can't.  I do not like Wal-Mart offerings, policies, or customer service myself, so I don't shop there.  If you do, then go ahead and shop.  This is just my personal belief and is not intended to change anyones mind.  As far as camping goes, I have parked in *many* strange places over the years.  Truck stops, Wal-Marts, back streets, rest stops, and industrial parks have all been called home for the night.  I have never had a major safety concern, but I have been given the "bum's rush" a few times.

For me it comes down to the lesser of evils.  I will drive an extra hour to a formal camp site most times, and always with the girls.  They seem to need a place to blow off steam and run around for a bit before we hit the road again.  With them the journey is as enjoyable as the destination.  It has taken us 3 days to get from St. Louis to Chicago once, and it was the best family trip we've had yet.

When I'm driving alone, miles are the goal.  Often I will spend every other night where there are showers and a friendly smile to the westy.  If it's late and no where near a campground or cheap motel, I'll park almost anywhere to grab a few Zs.  Not being a fan of Wal-Mart I'm even happier to spend the night there, using their taxed property for my sleep and not giving them a dime.  Sort of why I like McDonald's.  They have clean restrooms.  I don't choose to eat there, but I have no problem stopping in one to "take care of business".

As far as safety goes, I lock doors at night, sleep light, and be ready to move if I get spooked (it's happened *very* few times).

TGIF
Chris Smith