From: Jim = Snyder
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 8:18 = AM
Subject: For sale: 1982 Vanagon = diesel

I thought I would try this list before going to EBay. You folks = have been very helpful since I purchased this vehicle more than two years ago.

For sale: 1982 Vanagon diesel

Located in Virginia in Shenandoah County

Best offer to a good home

127,000 original miles

Many new parts including:

Gabriel gas shocks

Toyo 100,000 mile all season radials

starter

glow plugs

fuel injectors

water pump

oil filler tube

exhaust system

Blauplunct stereo w/ 4 pioneer speakers

battery cables and battery

This is a California vehicle with absolutely no rust anywhere. It = runs great but currently is not waiting for me to bleed the fuel system. = There was just a little smoke when it starts and there also is some oil that = blows out the oil filler tube at speeds over 65 mph. I avoid this by driving = under 65 which I believe is the recommended top speed anyway. Eventually, I had = planned to rebuild the head and lower end but I think the engine would be good = for a few more years if maintained well and not abused. In California, I = drove it 120 miles a day on I-5 to Colusa from near Sacramento.

I am the second owner and recently drove to Virginia from our home = in the Sacramento area. I have little time for maintenance anymore as our = baby was born in the last year and my wife needs something with air = conditioning and more power to navigate the mountain roads around here. I am picking up = a mint condition '94 Olds Silhouette this week as her primary transportation. = The price was about half of what I would spent for a VW Synchro for the = same year. However, I still would have rather had the Synchro!

As mentioned before, there is no rust anywhere. The underside looks = incredible and there is not even the beginnings of any seam rust. The = previous owner did scrape the rear wheel well on the passenger side slightly = while pulling into a parking spot. I had the damage estimated at $300 at a = local body shop. I can send digital pictures.