Westy roof is high and you need ladder to load/unload stuff from the box. Extra weight to pop the roof.
Can't park in garage. Those boxes work well on cars though.-
I got used to hitch rack, very convenient and easy to get to. Have one to carry bikes, skis, made attachment to carry 2 fuel cans and can build or buy box to carry some stuff. Can tow if needed. Can remove in 20 seconds. Vanagons have good attachment points for hitch too.
Good luck
Leon
85 Subwagen Westy

Steve Gough wrote:

I'm thinking of putting a Yakima "space cadet" cargo boxon the tail end of my '86 Westy poptop.  This box canbe seen at  http://www.yakima.com/products/dynamic/8007106_6.html I'm not particularly biased toward Yakima, but this box seemslike a good fit on the poptop.  Thought a lot about buildingmy own, but it would be very hard to get the things properlyrounded (from at least front and sides), to minimize dragand crosswind problems.  The specs list the box at 38pounds, which seemed a little heavy, but I picked one uptoday at a dealer, and I'm sure it doesn't weigh that much. Probably will directly bolt to the top (i.e. without a rack).Drilling doesn't bother me, I'll just follow Binky's adviceand "Don't drink and drill." (Matt Groening, Life in Hell.) This box is pretty aerodynamic in all directions, and shouldn'tcause too much of a crosswind problem.  I would not beputting heavy stuff in the box--more like backpacking gearand bike wheels. Anybody tried this, or have any advice to offer?  TIA Steve Gough