From: Jason = Stevenson
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 = 10:39 AM
Subject: Texas A/C = Questions

Alright...here goes.  I have a = 1984 Vanagon.  It has the a/c unit that is mounted just behind the = driver and front seat passenger, and passes overhead.  It currently does not = work because the compressor is bad.  I got an estimate from my local = VW mechanic to fix it, and it was by no means cheap.  But I was = about to have him do it anyway, when he then added that if it were his bus, he = wouldn't bother.  He went on to elaborate that in his opinion I probably = wouldn't be happy with the results of the system when it was operational.  = He didn't think it would cool adequately, but what almost concerned me = even more is when he said that in a few years, I would probably just have to = replace the compressor again.  Since the repair was so expensive, this was = not an attractive proposition.  So I passed on it.  This mechanic = is an excellent one, and I normally trust his opinion explicitly, but I'd = like to get some list-member feedback from people operating this a/c = configuration in hot areas (preferably hot, humid areas, as I'm in North Texas).  = It would be really nice to get some cooling in this vehicle for those hot = summer days other than that provided by simply opening my windows.

I'd like to know:
1)  Does the system do a decent = job of cooling down the van.  I know not to expect it to freeze me out = like the a/c in my wife's 98 Cabrio.  But would it at least function as = well as, say, the 1979 Scirocco I used to own?  That is certainly adequate = for me.
2)  Have you had to replace the = compressor or other expensive components of this system on a regular or frequent basis?

Thanks in advance.  I really = need some advice on this topic.

-Jason Stevenson