Well, your locksmith was close to the = truth.  You would only have to take one lock out which take one minute or = less.  Usually they want you to take the driver's side out.  Anyway, at = the level with the handle there is a bolt that you can turn out with a larger or = standard philips screwdriver after you have peeled the rubber seal back a = bit.  Once the bolt is out, you can shift the handle a little forward and it will = come out at once.  Your locksmith will make a new key faster than you would = go through any red tape with the dealership about codes and stuff.  = And way cheaper too.
Zoltan
----- Original Message -----
From: Randy = Weersing
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 2:29 = PM
Subject: lock problem

Hello.......New member here. I have a 82 Vanagon with 85 Jetta
power......love it! I was = glad to find this group. I have a problem with keys
someone out there must = know the answer to. Although still going strong after
216k miles, my = van's key is worn out. I have to fiddle like a safecracker to
get the doors = to lock and unlock. A local locksmith told me I have to take
out all the = locks and bring them in for him to fit new keys. I'm not buying =
that........must be an easier way. Just copying the old key is no good
because all I = get is a copy of a worn out key. Isn't there a code or
something I can use = to get a new key made? Thanks for any help.

Randy, Elmira (near Eugene) = Oregon