Mike,
Have you tried switching the ECU with a known good working unit?
I have a 1.9 also and when the ECU failed, it opened all the injectors up to
full open and causes the engine to flood.
Apparently this is the failure mode of the Digijet computer, according to
some VW experts.
I had to replace the ECU with a known good one and everything worked again.
Then I found that because I had tried vainly to start the engine a lot, I had
filled the crankcase up with gasoline so much that the engine ran on the
breather fumes.  With the computer connected it ran really rich as extra gas
was getting into the intake from the crankcase breather
It would even run a little bit without the computer connected, puffing out
oil through the exhaust, it was so diluted!
An oil change took care of that though.
Just thought I would pass this on as yours may be acting up also.
Good luck,
Steve Cotsford
'84 Westy