Thanks for everyone's help in = offering tips to get my diesel Westy running after a 5 year non-op and helpful = suggestions on cleaning the pop top of foliage...

New problem discovered.  (don't = you love project cars?)

Diesel motor starts fine from cold = or warm.  Runs fine at speed too.  Let it idle for more than a = minute and it will start to stumble then die.  It will start up again, and run = at speed ok, but idle?..forget it.

Here are some observations and a theory...

Small leak at the pulley end of the = injection pump (seal?)
fuel evident in the line from the = filter, but when it stalls, I see lots of air bubbles backing up to the filter from = the pump.
when I replaced the filter, very = little fuel in the filter cartridge.

Theory:
under normal running pressurization, = the diesel pump does it's thing ok, but at lower rpms the leak does not allow = enough pressure to build up and fuel starvation sets in.

Or..

there is a blockage in the fuel line = from the tank, and the fuel filter is running dry (but then it would starve at = higher RPM, no?)

Local mechanic believes it is the = pump, suggests that since it didn't run for such a long time the seal dried out.  = Says to run it through a few tanks of fresh diesel with a fuel additive to see = if the seal "self repairs".  "...what do you have to loose?"  (famous = last words anyone?)

Who needs an Agatha Christy novel = when there is a diesel to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance.

Henry