To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 = 11:16
Subject: Volkwagen Westfalia = JOKER sighting

     Yes, JOKER !  I had a = fellow from Hull, QC come here to my shop in
Almonte yesterday with a guanine Volkswagen JOKER that he just brought in
from Germany. =  Picked it up in Halifax, drove it here to have a muffler
installed so it would = pass QC inspection to get registered and plated.
      It is a 1982, 1.6 diesel = engined true Volkswagen (Vanagon style)
Westfalia JOKER camper with pop top = like ours.  Front grille with four, large
rectangular headlamps like our = N. A. models outer headlamps but four of them
!  No VW badge on the = grille, no place for it !  Side windows are all
Plexiglas and sort of = bubble shaped.  Middle ones each side tilt open from
the bottom, = hinged at top.
        Propane tank, = twice the size of ours, has gauge, YES I SAID A REAL
LIVE GAUGE !, = auxiliary quick connect outlet on tank to go to whatever
accessory you would = want to connect.  All the controls are covered up
securely by a = formed metal cover, painted the same colour as the Van, that is
held in place = by big black threaded knob.   =
      The Fridge is Electolux, sort of the same as our Dometic but different =
controls.  It is self lighting !  Just push a button and hold the = safety
valve.  It pulses spark until lit then a light comes on = indicating it's lit
and running.  The fridge is also 12 volt & 220 = VOLT - This is gonna be a
problem !  Anyone out there know if this = can be made to run on 110 volt ?
Big question !
      Sink is twice the size of = ours.  Stove, two burner, is 90 degrees out
from ours.  One = burner in front of the other rather than side by side.
Controls on = top not in front.  Burners have safety elements that you must
hold on = till hot.
      Cabinets say Westfalia on = them, they are shorter in length,
compartment and drawer under sink are = narrower.  Holding tank for water is
under sink and is just a plastic = jug with a submersible pump in it.  Storage
cabinets to rear of = fridge, only one rear most.  Then there is a small 16" x
16" x 6" propane = heater installed, looked to be installed other than by
Westfalia, in this = space, on the floor with a bit of shelved storage above it
and an = upholstered seat on top of that.
      The upper = bunk part that folds out is in two pieces rather that like
our one = piece.  The walls of the van are not upholstered like ours but just =
the painted metal.
      Cigarette = lighter on side of drivers seat pedestal, near the seat belt
receptacle.
      Battery is in the engine = compartment not under passenger seat. =
      Passenger seat swivels, not drivers.  No arm rests on front seats nor =
on rear bench seat.
      No, city water = hook up for sink. Exhaust port for fridge is just a
small square PLASTIC = cover, like a dryer vent but smaller.  One large oblong
lateral port of 220 = volt plug in, humongous male European style plug, hinged
in place under = the flap.  No extension cord attached.
      Came with original Westfalia = side tent in BURGUNDY.  Only been set up
ONCE !  I did not see the = tent.....yet.....Simon is bringing the JOKER to
BusFusion
= and he will set up the tent for all BusFusionites to see.
      Aluminium wheels were = different from the ones we see here.  VW emblem
in centre were indicating = stock VW items.  Hard to describe ! =
      It was pretty cool all around and I spent way too much time checking
it = out.  I did get a new muffler installed for him as well as repairing a =
broken water faucet, lubricating the sticking shift rod, and = checking out the
propane system and getting all the gadgets to work.  Yes, = the fridge lit
right up !  After we learned what Auf & Zu = mean on all the valves between the
tank the stove, fridge & heater. =  There are two valves on the tank, main and
aux.  Four more under = the sink, one main, one for stove, one for the fridge
one for the heater ! =
       I hope to have some pics = of it soon and will let you all know when I
post them to a website where = we can all have a look see.  He's thinking about
reselling this gem, = no idea why but he did say he would let me know and send
me more details.  Anyways,  it will be at BusFusion so = any of you coming will
see it and those of you who want to see it get on over = to BusFusion in
Almonte June 7, 8, 9, 10.  Don't know about = BusFusion ?  Then click on the
link !

Cheers

Frank = Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a = VW Camper event in Almonte, June 7-10
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains =
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & = Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley =
STEBRO/Vanagon = Stainless Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli = & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com