Well, I finally ordered 4 new tires for = my van.  I decided to get the Yokahama's from Tirerack.  I = ordered them Thursday and had them Tuesday, excellent service.  I had to go by = Sears anyway so I decided to have them mount and balance them.  I had one = flat tire in the back of the van and I was using the spare, which was the = only decent tire on the van.  I asked the service manger to make sure that the = spare ( Michelin ) was left alone and the flat tire was replaced.  I = even made sure that he wrote it on the job ticket and highlighted it.  I was = told " We are very careful with these kind of things, stop back in an hour to = pick it up."
    45 minutes = later...

        = The van was on the lift with all wheels removed.  Two tires, including the = good spare, had been removed from the wheels and were headed towards = scrap.  The flat tire was still in the van 6' in the air.  After explaining = this to the mechanic ( I'll use that term loosely ) , he apologized and agreed = to remount the spare.  I requested the self adhesive wheel weights and = went back to the waiting room.

10 minutes later..

    The "mechanic" = returned and explained that he could not use the adhesive weights, they wouldn't = stick to the wheels.  " We could use them, but we would have to clean the = wheels. " NO SH*T !"   I agreed that the could use the other one's as long = as they were the right one's for alloy wheels...

    Next the "mechanic" = was having trouble balancing a wheel, so he brought "mechanic #2" over to offer his = expertise.  Mechanic #2 informed me that they could not balance = this wheel because it was severely cracked, he said I would have to scrap this = wheel.  Surprised,   I went to check the wheel.  I = explained to him that it was road tar, and showed him other spots on the surface = of the wheel.  He only hesitantly agreed with me after I removed the = "crack" with my fingernail.  Mechanic #2 was no longer interested in helping.

    When the balancing = was finally complete, I saw mechanic #1 reach in to turn the steering wheel and = noticed that the door wouldn't shut properly. I looked under the van to see = where the lift was staged, right across the rear of the gas tank.  Needless = to say, I quickly pointed out to him that he had crushed my gas tank in two = places. "oh, really?  It's not leaking."  I walked away frustrated.

    A few minutes later = the van was back on the ground. The mechanic greeted me when I came back = out " I checked your tank, it's fine.  It popped right back out when I put = it down." So I looked to confirm what he said.  The drivers side cross = member was pushed up into the tank, about 1" higher than it should be.  = The passenger side was almost back where it should be, but there was a nice = fresh crease about 1/4 -1/2" deep and 3 - 4" long.  I asked him to look again.  "Oh, I'll see if the manger is here."  The assistant = manager came out but was physically unable to look under the van.  He asked = mechanic#2 to give his opinion.  "It's not leaking." He was also = quick to point out that there was a dent towards the front of the tank and I had = probably bottomed the van out on some big rocks.  I agreed with him that = there was a dent, but also showed him the "fresh" creases on both sides of the tank.  My point was that the tank was not crushed when I arrived, = it shouldn't be when I leave.  "It's not leaking, it'll be ok."  = I could have made a scene but I was reassured that the manager would call me to straighten things out the following day.
    I also arrived home = to find that I had 3 black valve stems and 1 chrome.  They also hadn't removed = any of the stickers off of the tire tread.  I know it's purely cosmetic, = but irritating all the same. For $68 worth of nothing but mounting and = balancing, you would at least hope it was done well.
    On a positive note, = The tires are excellent.  Also the manager did call on time and promised to = pay for a replacement tank.  I learned once and for all to avoid the big chains...overpriced and sloppy to say the least.  It pays to watch = these clowns, I wouldn't have noticed this tank if I didn't look over his = shoulder. All it cost to mount these tires was $68.00, 2+hours, and a = gas tank...and that wasn't even on sale.
    Anyone have advice = on where to buy or not buy a gas tank?

Thanks.