Thanks to all of you that did and did not guess the = source of my 86 Vanagon rear end noise, with your replies.  I ran over to = Western Auto tonight and purchased a 46 mm socket and fit it on the drive that I = use for stubborn lug nuts.  Sure enough, the axle nut on the side that I = was hearing all the noise from turned almost half way around before it was tight.  Don't know exactly how much is 350 ft pounds, but I just = put all of my 195 lbs of weight on the 19 inch bar and put the cotter pin back = in.

No more noise.  Thanks again.
Jeff Hartman
Juneau, AK