Alright...here goes.  I have a = 1984 Vanagon.  It has the a/c unit that is mounted just behind the = driver and front seat passenger, and passes overhead.  It currently does not = work because the compressor is bad.  I got an estimate from my local VW = mechanic to fix it, and it was by no means cheap.  But I was about to have = him do it anyway, when he then added that if it were his bus, he wouldn't = bother.  He went on to elaborate that in his opinion I probably wouldn't be happy = with the results of the system when it was operational.  He didn't think it = would cool adequately, but what almost concerned me even more is when he said = that in a few years, I would probably just have to replace the compressor = again.  Since the repair was so expensive, this was not an attractive = proposition.  So I passed on it.  This mechanic is an excellent one, and I = normally trust his opinion explicitly, but I'd like to get some list-member feedback = from people operating this a/c configuration in hot areas (preferably hot, = humid areas, as I'm in North Texas).  It would be really nice to get some = cooling in this vehicle for those hot summer days other than that provided by = simply opening my windows.

I'd like to know:
1)  Does the system do a decent = job of cooling down the van.  I know not to expect it to freeze me out like the = a/c in my wife's 98 Cabrio.  But would it at least function as well as, say, = the 1979 Scirocco I used to own?  That is certainly adequate for = me.
2)  Have you had to replace the = compressor or other expensive components of this system on a regular or frequent basis?

Thanks in advance.  I really need = some advice on this topic.

-Jason Stevenson