<<<Yeah, his Whole Lilley will do a whole 85mph. With a DOHC Legacy
engine(using the same trans) you should get over 100... heck, stock 2.4
Japanesevans (Mitsubishi Delica 4WD, Toyota Hiace) will top 100mph on the
flat!>>>

IF you had bothered to READ, I have a South African .457 five FIVE Speed.
I was stating the abilities of the engine to push the van in fourth gear. As
far as top speed, I have another gear to go...

Plus when you look at MOST peoples driving with vanagons, how many really
drive flat out ALL the time?

DO most drive 100 mph in the camp sites? Off road over bumpy roads? no, for
most the rpm range of their driving is @2000 to 4500.

I wanted my engine to pull at the low end and have power through my normal
driving and for when I like to accelerate fast.

The most important factor, for me at least, is to have the power where you do
most of your driving.  I built my engine for 95% of my driving needs.  If you
drive flat open all the time, then you either have no speed limits or lots of
tickets or a good lawyer...

When you are in slow traffic, shifting all the time to match the traffic is a
drag, with my van, I can keep it in fourth from 25mph to 60 mph or fifth 35
mph to 100 mph and the engine is smooth.

The 5% is when I like to accelerate fast and my engine does that well also...

Robert