You can check out my van getting pulled = from the yard at www.daneggert.com =
The gas tank did get munched!  but = it still works for now until I put a new one in.  I lost about a 1/4 of the = tank so I have to watch the gas gauge all the time.  My sliding door got = trashed in the moving process too, big dents from where the fork lift slammed into = it, but I found another one for cheap that has no rust on it whatsoever.  I = paid very little for the van, had to put a new motor and clutch disk into it, = and now I am dealing with minor bugs here and there like you would with any = other vanagon.  Total cost is under $1000 for me and once I get the new = paint on her, I'm sure she will be worth much more than that, but it doesn't = matter since I am going to keep it for a long time!

eggz
----- Original Message -----
From: JordanVw@AOL.COM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 = 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: Clean Westy at = junkyard, sad, happy day, long

In a = message dated 6/4/01 9:41:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
drillock@EARTHLINK.NET = writes:

Due to State and Local regulations, the fluids = are drained, batteries
and other hazardous materials removed, gas = tanks ripped out, etc. Then a
giant front end loader (fork lift) is = used to gently, ha ha, cart the
victim several hundred yards to it's = spot in a row. There it is placed
on 3 or more welded stacks of old steel = wheels with no regard for any
consequential damage to brake lines, = hoses, wires, body, bumpers, etc.

Get the picture?

i agree.   once a car hits the = salvage auction circuit, its on its way to
being trashed..even at the = salvage auctions, the expensive stuff (radios,
center caps, alloy wheels = are swapped out for steel ones, spoilers dissapear,
etc) grows legs = and walks away, being picked over by salvage auction
buyers..the van is = picked up by a forklift (usually ALWAYS, even if it does
run) and the gas = tank/LP tank is always crushed (you pick up a vanagon with a
forklift, you WILL = crush the gas tank, its inevitable) and most yards will
toast the = fiberglass bumpers (if not already) by the time it makes it back to
it's spot = in the yard. gotta push it back into it's spot in the row?  no =
problem, that's what forklift tines are for..  ram it right back in there. =
most cars actually get more damage on their way from the final = owner to their
final resting place in the junkyard than they even had = before the car was
junked..

my best mental image was quite some years = ago when i happened to be at a yard
and witnessed the fork lift driver = picking up a '62 23 window microbus by
jabbing the fork tines thru the = skylights in the roof....    that makes ya
sick.. =
chris