Get out your Bentley.  It tells (I don't remember where) which pins on the AFM connect to which pins on the ECU.  Check 'em all for continuity.  I ended up re-soldering a couple of them that showed high resistance.
Good Luck!
Gary
----- Original Message -----
From: S. Marie Arnold
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 12:32 PM
Subject: HELP airflow box problems

I am needing help again with this darn Vanagon!  I have gotten the problem
down to two things 1- the plug that goes into the Airflow box or the wiring
harness.  The plug looks fairly new but I am not sure if it is wired
correctly.  Does anyone know what color goes with what number.  And how can I
tell (if this is at all possible) if it is the harness.  Is this a big thing
to fix.  I know the harness cost about $200 to buy.  What is involved with
this.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  This has been an ongoing problem
for 5 months and I have invested mucho bucks in mechanics for no one to get
the problem fixed.  PLEASE HELP!

Stace
Vanagon 1991 Carat