not to mention you don't have to = constantly keep thine eye on the tach to avoid offending the pushrods and = heads

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Keezer
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 = 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Waterboxer Power = vs transplants

> "The inline 4 seem like a good choice for a basic = Vanagon. It's more
> advanced with knock control, I don't known about = the weight, with an
> iron block, my guess is that it's about the = same or marginally the
> heaviest among the choices.  The power = is the same as an unmodified
> waterboxer.  Personally I'd = avoid this engine in a Westy if converting.
> Why pay the price and not = get any more performance.  And extra weight,
> would actually = mean less performance. The Subaru seems best for a West,
> less hoses = and such, less weight, and at least the same power as a
> corrected waterboxer."

There is more to the inline fours I would like = to point out:

The 93-later Golf-Jetta 2.0 is 115 hp @5,400 rpm, and = 136 ft lb. of torque
at 3,200 rpm.

This really works well in my = 82 vanagon Westfalia, manual trans, compared
the inline four = 1.8 I replaced with this. (100 hp , 109 ft lb torque)

The engine management system is G-J Digifant ll, and it works reasonably =
well. It is fairly simple to troubleshoot, and simpler to install than some =
other systems.

The weight is about the same as a WBX, when you = consider that the I-4
doesn't
have all the peripheral tin & = tubing that a WBX has and furthermore, it is
the same weight as the Vanagon = Diesel, or the SA I-4, both cast iron
blocks,
so it is within the = original design standards.

Inline fours are higher revving = than the WBX, therefore it has greater
acceleration than the WBX.
I = would love to prove this to anyone by offering a test drive. I have =
driven
both the 1.9 and the 2.1-115 HP is the reason I can out = accelerate a WBX
Vanagon.

Some listmembers are planning to do a = conversion like mine after going for
test
ride in mine recently, or = trying to catch me on a mountain pass.

It is a stock engine, and I = have ridden in a Vanagon that a friend has
installed a 95 Jetta engine with = the stock Motronic system-no standard WBX
can touch Ralf's = Vanagon!(formerly Diesel)

Mine will do 75 mph in third gear @5,250 rpm. I have = ridden in a Westfalia
with a Corrado G60 engine that will do 75 in = second!

Certain I-4 engines and mods made to them, can dramatically = increase the
HP/torque ratios.

The WBX does still have better = torque at lower rpm, but not any longer for
those of us who can find = them.

The new 2001 Golf-Jetta 1.8 turbo-150 HP and close to that = number is torque
@1950 rpm! How is that for low-end torque?
Maybe in = two to five years we will have a junkyard supply of these.

I have = to agree that the Diesel version conversion has more hoses. But
these =
do not present any sort of problem.

I have worked on the WBX, and = the diesel/gas I-4, and the latter is
definitely more accessible = with less junk in the way. It is even easier to
get to things than in a Golf/jetta.

The 93 and later I-4 engines have another = great feature to enhance
longevity
and HP-oil spray nozzles that = cool the pistons.

This was one of the main reasons diesel truck = engines were able to get
bigger
without burning up.

The 2.0 = should be able to outlast the 1.8 I-4 in a vanagon.

Of course, they = don't blow head gaskets, have eliminated old-fashioned
pushrods. =

You can get adapter kits for the WBX Vanagon just like for the Subaru, and =
you can keep it all VW.

Or, you can aquire a Diesel vanagon or = its parts to make your own kit. Or
of
course, the Tiico, which has = even more hp(118).

It will cost more, but take less time. My first = conversion took three
months,
every day after work. it only cost 1,500. =

Robert Keezer
1982 Westfalia 2.0 Golf lll "Warmerwagen"
Seattle