Well thanks to you guys (I kiss the ground you walk on) I didn't replace the
harness on that AFM.  You guys were right it was the O2 censor (how could I
have doubted you)!  All I had to do was get a water bottle and squirt the
wires and ta-da....it started idling funky and bucking and carrying on.
YEAH!!!!  Now I am going to check it out in daylight to see what's up.  Do
you guys recommend trying to repair this or just get a new one.  I say I am
happy to pay to get a new one because I don't have to dread getting caught in
the rain!  You guys kick ass!  Thank you, thank you, thank you. ** I will now
discontinue my electric shock therapy for the sufferings this problem has
caused me.
 I am happy just to know what is wrong.  I will be sure to name my
van pronto after this problem is solved.  Thanks again.

With greatest affection and loyalty,
Stace
91 Vanagon Carat
**  this was intended to be a joke.  I was only in group therapy (hahaha)