I'm the original poster of the leaky hose question. Thanks everyone who
responded on the list and off--lots of great suggestions. Someone even found
the exact hose at "Vanagain" online. So first thing I did was order it.
Because of Memorial Day weekend, it wasn't coming overnight--so I started
fiddling with the hose to see if I could somehow easily rig a fix until I got
the right part.
   After two hours of playing with the thing, and realizing any fix I
contemplated (including gluing it, strapping the break with a rubber seal and
screw clamps, etc.) had to overcome the problem of the antifreeze soaked bust
in the hose top (right near its connection to the top of the left cylinder),
I finally decided I'd wait and stop wasting my time. Not like I was in the
middle of the dessert and had to move on!
   Part came a few days later, I wrestled to get those damn hoses
connections off (cripes, so what's the easy way? Hard enough to get to it,
and they don't come off easily!) Finally did, then wrestled to get the large
end of the new hose on and did. Clamped it. Got a funnel and fill through the
small end with antifreeze, put it on and clamped the thing, then drove for a
half hour. Leak solved, the overflow tanks are right, it's driving like a
charm, no overheating or anything close to it!
    Thanks again, friends.
     Best--
     Don Oldenburg
     McLean, VA.