Riley
The symptom of 12 volts at both sides = is normal.  The coil is just a bunch of wire and if there is no ground = on the other side, the voltage will pass through.  The ground is supplied = by the ignition module when it wants to fire the plugs.  Obvioulsy that = will only happen when the engine is turning over.  The module gets its signal = from the hall unit in the distributer.  You don't say what year so I'm = assuming it is electronic, but if not, the points do the same job directly.  = The low reading on the the coil is also normal.  Usually only a few = ohms.  A good multimeter should tell the difference comparing when you short the = test leads and then when you check the coil reading. I could go through an = extensive explanation of further testing, but a manual (even borowed) would help = you a great deal in the long run.  One simple test that you could do is = to have someone turn over the motor while you have a 12v light connected across = the leads on the coil.  I should blink if the circuit is good to that = point. Use a small bulb if possible or a standard test probe if you have = one. Not a brake light bulb, they are too heavy and you might not see the blink. = If no blinky, then look at the connections for the distributer and the = ignition module (grounds also). Sorry this is not much to go on.  Good luck =
Mark
Now when  have the key in the on = position both of the outside contacts read 12 volts. To me this is strange = because one i know is supposed to be negative? Also the inside peg has the same 12 = volts with the key on. My volmeter can only take 500 volts so i am not sure = i should be testing for a spark.

Across the two outside terminals, = opposite sides of the coil, there is no resistence at all. Meaning the coil has = somehow fused? Between either outside and the middle peg are 3000  ohms resistance.(at cranking it doesn't change)

One more question. Does anyone have a = bentley for sale? I am sure my questions would be answered by that book if i had it.

The list archive isn't allowing me to = search today.. lol

Thanks everyone.

Riley Kettner
icq = 3666016