Just returned from trip down California = coast on Hiway 1.  Allowed three days to get from Portland, Oregon to So = Cal, but it was not long enough.  Turns out that the smelling of the roses, = cleaning up the camp and stopping for photos really cuts into the time.  We had = a time restriction to meet with family in Lebec, near Ft. Tejon (top of famous Grapevine Hill).  Did not get to camp at any of the suggestions = made by fellow listees.  Timing was wrong.   Did = stay at Big Lagoon in Humboldt County, Bodega Bay, and Big Sur = campground.

Also made it to Prescott, = Arizona, to visit daughter and sundry relatives.

Summary of vanagon performance = over 3500 miles of steep hills, freeways and desert -- FLAWLESS!  Two quarts of oil = and maybe a pint of coolant added.  Gasoline usage was considerably higher.

Pre-trip service:  Flush cooling = system, pressure test, replace flakey-acting thermostat. Also had the = Oxygen sensor and radiator fan switch replaced as part of gradual sensor swap-out program.  New fan switch resulted in the low fan not coming on = 'till the needle was 3/4 of the way to the high mark.  (It usually controls = with the needle just on the top half of the LED)  Mechanic said "They all do = that".  (never heard that one before).  Argued and he replaced = the switch.  Ok now.  Drove it to work a few times before = departing, just to make sure.

Second day of trip, oxygen sensor = reminder light came on.  I have the worst case of "wassernoia" of all, and = periodically seeing the red light on the instrument cluster resulted in hundreds of = little adrenaline injections that served to keep me alert.

The first 23 miles of Hiway 1 in No. = California are extremely steep and have such switchbacks you wind up shifting back to = first gear to keep moving forward.  The turns are so sharp that you can = look over and read your own rear license plate!

The California coast north of San = Fransisco is the most fantastic scenery.  It's a winding road along thousand foot = cliffs with usually no guard rails.  Really windy up there and not much competition on the road.  Almost no RV's.  Most pleasing to me = was that every time I used a turnout, the car passing me waved or = beeped.  Even the motorcycles that were really abundant gave a beep when they = passed.  This kind of courtesy could be contageous!

Only got to San Simeon before deciding = to head inland to meet relatives.  Turning East put us into the hot weather = and away from the idyllic coastal views.  After phase 1 of reunion-ing, = headed to Prescott.  Tried to travel at night for cooler weather.  = Temps are still in the mid-90's at night and I found that with the A/C = on, the high radiator fan would kick in even at 70 mph.  Old radiator = switch did the same thing.

On the way back, left at 6:30 am to try = and beat the heat.  Arizona's 75 mph speed limits are nice, 'cause you can = get a run on the hills and keep the tach at the top of the green most of the way = up.  Got back into the mid '90's on I5 heading back to Oregon.  Slowed = down and tried to use the A/C, but the high radiator fan kept coming on.  = Ran the van hard for 17 hours straight with minimal oil use and no coolant level = drop.

With 20-50 oil, the buzzer only came on = a couple of times.  Expectedly when it's really hot and the revs lug down to = 2500 in 4th.  Also when the wife forgets its not an automatic and pulls = into a rest stop without downshifting.

Almost stayed at a Wal Mart, but no = place to pee.  Yes, I know that Westies have a sink, but it wouldn't be fair = to the wife - she keeps sliding off  ;o)

There's not a drop of any fluid under = the van - no oil, no coolant, so I feel pretty good.  Especially so, since I'm = the worst wassernoid around - always thinking that any drips where I park MUST = have come from my van.  Nothing like a successful trip to renew the confidence.

Before we left there was a thread "How = do you outfit your Westy...?".  I wanted to mention something my wife has done.  She bought a flannel sheet, cut it up and sewed bags = for all the dishes, pots, pans and pan lids we carry.  This protects them = and lets you stack them together without all the rattling.

Later,
Tom S.