Ken, don't feel bad.  When I was growing up in = New Jersey, cars had to be inspected every 6 months.  Then they made it = every year when the lines got too long.

John Lauterbach
Macon, GA
----- Original Message -----
From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 = 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: You won't believe = this one!!

Here in New = Jersey we went to dyno testing last year.  Here are my
observations so = far:

1. Increases time of inspection by about 400%
2. Decreases = the accuracy of emissions testing (we have had cars that never
passed = the old idle emissions test, pass the dyno test!)
3. Increases the chances = of damaging the vehicle, hurting someone, or causing
an accident.  Before a trip for testing was simple, now it is tense, hoping =
that nothing bad is going to happen.
4. We are having emissions tests = done on every car that comes through except
diesels.  I was very = shocked and stupefied when I took a customer's 76 bus
through inspection and = they put it on a dyno.  Here is a car that was never
really designed = to meet any emission standard.  At the time I don't believe
they had = a standard, so where are the Pass/Fail numbers coming from?   =
Anything before 1980 should be exempt at this point.  In NJ the rust = catches
up with the older cars so that we don't have a ton of them like California.
The amount of pre 1980 cars that are used as = daily drivers in NJ could
probably fit in my local Wal-mart parking lot. =  What kind of environment
impact are these cars having? =

Is there any organized effort to petition for some kind of different
emissions testing system?  The one we have now just isn't = efficent and safe
(plus it is way more expensive than the old one). =
Sorry for venting, but thanks for listening.

Ken Wilford =
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
Phone: (856)-765-1583