Van list -

I'm in the middle of remodeling an 80 = westy, and I have a ton of questions:

I just finished rebuilding the engine = (I pulled it, cleaned & repainted the
steel, and had it professionally put back = together). The first road trip
isolated the alternator as a point of = failure (on the freeway @ 2am). Now I
know what the battery and egr lights mean.

I'm prepping for a long term road = trip...I hope to surf Baja someday. However,
I have a laundry list of repairs first. = Any thoughts on this extensive list
would be great.

Van TO-DO List:
1. Add Temp Gauge = (I'd like to get sensors on each cylinder...overkill? At the
 very least, = I'd like a temp gauge on the dash)
2. Add Tach Gauge (I notice there's been some = discussion on this lately...I'll
 look thru the mail)
3. = Clean mildew off inside pop-top...cleaner recommendations?
4. Clean outside mildew off outside of = pop-top...The question is how to finish
 it so it looks like new? I just = cleaned w/ tsp and Clorox. 100%
 better...but not 'new' looking = yet...should I use rubbing compound
 and then wax?
5. Replace Headlights (brand = recommendations?)
6. Extend gearshift lever higher...it's so low I = have to bend down to reach it. I used to
 ride an old 77 Westy, and the = PO had installed an anchor bolt to the stick arm.
 Does anyone make an = extension?
7. Replace sink pump (any brand recommendations?)
9. = Add an oil level and pressure meter...I'd like always know about = this
 precious fluid...
10. Spare tire (---found this in Bentley---cool, need to see = if I have one :o))
11. Paint job (where can I get something cheap in the = Seattle metro area? Any
 places to avoid?)
12. Replace missing = sliding door window (glass is gone...is this a junkyard
 item...or something = that can be fixed?)
13. External oil cooler?...should I get one?
14. = Gas grade?...my mechanic recommends premium for an air cooled. Is this
 necessary?
15. Recommended oil, after rebuild, then = later...what grade should I run for
 how long after a rebuild? My mechanic = recommends either sae30 or 20-50.
16. Fix skylight...some DPO used sheet metal = screws to put in a non-stock
 skylight. It's in, but it leaks...the = caulking or whatever they used
 to seal it is cracking...what should I do? = Just add more caulk, or pop
 for a new skylight?
17. Where are all the = grease fittings? Didn't see a diagram in the Bentley
 ...and the front = end squeaks a bit.
18. Fuel system...when I fill the tank up, the filler = tube leaks a bit. Is this
 normal? Or do I need to start looking at = the grommets and such? My plan
 is to drop the tank, fix the sending = unit on the tank, and replace all
 the rubber/gaskets/fuel filter/fuel pump...anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my = newbie questions!
-Todd
'80 Westy