From: Randy Weersing
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 11:59 AM
Subject: oil pressure problem
 I have a problem with my 82 diesel conversion (85 Jetta 1.9). I've been
driving this rig for 6 years and 80k miles with few problems, but now I have
no oil pressure. A little history: It's always been a little slow to get the
oil pressure up after the first start in the morning. Usually the light goes
off after 5 seconds or so after starting. Sometimes has taken as long as
15-20 sec. but it has always pressured-up. Things that help are a full
crankcase and a fresh oil change and filter, (I use Mann filters). Once, a
couple years ago, it was loosing pressure at speed so I pulled the pan to
find the oil pickup screen plugged with sludge and gunk.....cleaned it up and
reassembled and the problem was fixed. It's been ok since and very good
lately. Pressure has been up immediately after starting (light goes off
instantly at startup). This morning, I start it up and no oil pressure, even
after running for 30-40 seconds. Checked oil and topped it up (was 1/2 qt
low) and tried again. Still no pressure. I know its not the sender because
the hyd. lifters clatter when the pressure is down.
So.......my question; I have heard that the diesel pan/pump combination as
used on my conversion is known for it's oiling problems but have never heard
any details on the nature of this problem....cause, cure, etc. Anyone out
there have any insight into this? Thanks for any help.
Randy Weersing,
Eugene, OR