Honestly, an 18 year old car running with the original CAT = isn't much different than running without one.  The point about driving an old = car versus a new one (incredible energy expended and pollution created, not = to mention the use of resources) is not lost on me either.  I know = folks in Atlanta who gutted the cat on their Vanagons to a net effect of actually = decreasing the pollution measured at the tailpipe.  Since my 1985 = was at the legal limit the last time it was tested, I can believe this.  = And Vanagon engines are notoriously filthy--it's probably a good thing = not many were sold in the USA.  I used to be opposed to this, but now i'm = just amused.  After all, I was raised when it was cool to let your kids = ride in the car on the shelf over the back seat of the family sedan.  = Somehow or another I managed to live through the more dangerous, more fun, and less = politically correct 1960s.

Donald Baxter
1985 GL

-----Original = Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 10:09 = PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Catalytic converter

This is a can of = worms. My converter is at the recyclers, and the rear end of the Van is free and = clear.

I wrestled with all the morality of it, and decided that I might = effect the environment in a detrimental way only if the engine wasn't running = correctly. To help me sleep at night I do the following:

1. Motor tuned (timed, Bosch Platinum 4's, New Wires, KEN, Syntec, = and regular injector cleaner).
2. I get better mileage and performance = with catty gone.
3. Air pressure in all four tires checked regularly. =
4. I run Oxygenated fuel - 90 octane.
5. My Van doesn't leak or burn = oil - and regular oil changes with oil properly recycled - filter, too. =
6. I'm driving an 18 year old car that other would have junked eight = years earlier - the positive environmental impact from that alone has got to = count for more than 100% of any problem created by lost catty.

Pros: I get better mileage, I would say that the motor is running = the best it has in years. My vehicle as a result may run longer, and cooler = too. Cons: Because my state doesn't have testing anymore, I don't know what gas = %'s are leaving the vehicle. I'm knowingly breaking the law. It's not the only = one, but I guess my dirty little secrets are no Cat, and the occasional = joint.

There it is - who knows? I may burn in hell for it someday. Until = then, my delusion is complete.

AB

Gerald Masar wrote:

LEGAL, MORAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES ASIDE,     what are the pros and cons of =
gutting the cat. converter?
There was something on the list about this = awhile back, but I can't find the
info in the archives. For awhile now, = especially in the summer heat, the
whole area around the back of the engine compartment, the bumper, cowling,
lic. plate, etc. have been too = hot to touch, even after a short drive. The
van itself, a '90 Westy, is = running normally. Good gas mileage (for a van
with 134k miles) and the = temp. gauge is just over the top edge of the LED.
The O2 sensor was = changed just a few months ago for a new Bosch OEM unit. To
my knowledge, = it has never been in a "running rich" situation.
I understand the cat. = can get clogged. I am taking it off this weekend to
check it out. =
Comments?
Thanks,
Jerry