In a message dated 06/29/2001 11:21:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mwsnow@HOME.COM writes:

vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

I've been following this thread with some interest as I recently have had
to deal with an oil pressure problem.....suddenly no pressure on startup. A
mechanic friend suggested I pressurize the crankcase SLIGHTLY, to force oil
up the pickup into the pump. I removed the filter, plugged the breather
pipe on the tappet cover with my finger, and applied about 5psi with an air
hose to the oil dipstick tube. I was warned that too much pressure could
blow out the crank seals, so be careful and try at your own risk. I held
the pressure for about 10 sec. until a few drops of oil dripped from the
filter inlet, reinstalled the filter, started up, and viola...oil pressure.
It's been fine in the week or so since, and I'm hoping whatever caused my
problem was a fluke, but expect it will resurface and I will be replacing
the pump soon.

Randy
82 Vanagon, diesel converted to inline 1.9 gas