This is a Temp II problem I would almost guarantee it.  I have these senders
for $30 in stock if you friend needs one.  A customer of mine was having this
exact problem.
He rigged up a switch to shut off the fuel pump manually when he was trying
to hot restart.  He would crank it over without the fuel pump being on and
the van would start right up.  After it was running he would turn the pump on
and it would run fine.  The Temp II tested wierd and when I put a new one in,
it fixed the problem immediately.  I drove the van for months afterward and
never experienced the hard starting when hot again.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com