From: Dave Rodriguez
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 = 12:08 AM
Subject: New to list...a few = questions, and I need some stuff

What's up = guys?  I just bought myself an '84 Vanagon($200!!!), and have spent
the = last week or so bringing it up to snuff as best I can.  When I got it, =
both of the water pipes running from front to rear were rusted out and =
leaking, so I replaced them, along with the gas tank breather(which was =
cracked), and she's up and running perfectly.

Some background on = me...I am a VW employee, I work at a dealership in the
parts department. =  I have spent the last 4 years of my life dedicated to
repair and = modification of VWs(primarily A1 and A2 chassis cars).  This van
is now my = 9th VW(I had 2 Volvos, too), and my second van(my first was a '67
Westy). =  I currently own 3 VWs, my other two being 16V Jettas.  Prior =
experience with Vanagons includes converting an '88 from automatic to stick. =

Now, this thing has no A/C, but does have dual heaters.  I = disconnected the
rear heater when I did the other cooling system repairs, as the = "T"s in the
lines were also rusted.  However, I cannot for the life = of me figure out how
to turn off the front heater.  No matter what = I do, there's still heat coming
out of somewhere, be it the floor, the defroster, where ever.  I have no
owners manual with this = thing, and I can't seem to decypher the alien
pictograms on the control = panel.  Some help on this one would be nice...it's
too hot for heat. =

Issue 2:  Hard starting and rich running.  Every = once in a while, the van
doesn't want to start.  Smells like it's = flooding, then after x amount of
attempts, it won't even crank, kinda like = it's vapor locking.  I may have
remedied this with the tank = breather, but I'm not sure at this point.  Any
common issues with = automatics and starting problems?  And what kind of gas
mileage are you guys = getting?

Issue 3:  This thing handles like a pig.  I = am used to track-worthy Rabbits,
and highly modified A2 Jettas that go = around turns hard enough to throw
things around the cabin with deadly = force.  I know better than to expect this
thing to do the same, but = there's got to be a way to make it better.  Does
anyone make swaybars = for these things?  I'd rather not lower it, but I'm sure
that's = an option as well.  Bilsteins are an absolute must, and will be coming =
soon.  ;-)

OK, now, I need some things for this Van.  For starters, I need a jack and a
toolset.  Anyone know where I = can get those second hand?  Also, this thing
needs some different = wheels.  The stock 14" steel wheels are not cutting it
for me. =  I am a huge fan of steel wheels, especially on a vehicle like this,
and = my intentions for it's use.  I'd like to do some 15" steel wheels, = and in
fact, I have a set from a '99 Passat.  They are the correct = bolt pattern,
however, the hubs on the van are too large for the = wheels.  I thought about
grinding them out a bit(there's not too much = of a difference), but they'd be
a pain to balance.  So, does = anyone have some wheels out there they'd like to
come off of for a reasonable = price?

Thanks again, guys.  I'm sure I'll have more for = you as I get into this
thing, and I appreciate any help you can give me. =

-Dave
'91 Jetta GTX 16V
'88 Jetta GLI 16V
'84 = Vanagon