I replaced it on my windshield  = with the gray round piping used to put screen in storm doors and windows. It was a = larger size, it's available in several sizes, and took a while to get in. But = the gray shows up nicely and is slightly below the surface. Much better then the = rusty plastic piece with a 8 inch piece missing. The molding's real function = is to spread the rubber against the glass and body for a tight waterproof seal.

Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: diverse_imaging@yahoonixthespam =
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 = 3:30 PM
Subject: Vanagon "chrome" = window molding question

82 Westy .. great exterior = shape except the chrome molding is looking a little funky. Sorta rusted/discolored.

I know there are = replacement moldings available, as well as the groove-less replacements, but $ is a little = tight right now.

Anyone had luck removing = these, or replacing with some sort of aftermarket product? Will the molding = collapse upon itself if I take it out and not replace? Any other ideas for a remedy?

TIA ...