I just got done battling a similar problem, although mine's a diesel.  I had a cracked head which I fixed which got the oil out = of my coolant, but didn't change the running hot.  Replaced 2 = thermostats, flushed and bled the system a few times which would marginally help for = short times (sometimes).  Finally pulled the radiator and replaced it - = (the radiator place said these were impossible to clean out because of their = design?) and now it's fine.  You should definitely exhaust all other = possibilities first as the new radiator was $360, but that was definitely the = problem.... and I don't know how to make that diagnosis other than trial and error - I = was able to push fluid through it with a hose, I could feel it get warm, but must = have just had enough crud to cut the cooling ability...
Good Luck,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 9:57 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: = overheating

having an overheating issue while = highway and high speed driving ....  van is fine around the city and at idle .....  once up to highway speeds temp needle rises to overheating area    had heads done about 2 months ago and flushed = coolant replaced with havoline orange new t-stat ....   just looking = for a few ideas   maybe i am missing something?????

thanks rob

86 syncro   'althea'