Ed Asked<<"anyone out there ever *completely* remove a BA-6 including all the
ductwork, fans, wiring?">>

All the time. It helps if it is a junker, then you just roll the vanagon over
on ti's side to take it out. Otherwise, it's a bear of a job and will consume
a whole day. It can be completely removed without cutting any wires.

The under dash part of the harness can be removed also without affecting the
main wiring.
The gas tank needs to be dropped to be able to pull the harness back from the
front, as it is tie-wrapped to the main loom. To do this you have to first
remove the tank filler pipe.

And, the windshield washer reservoir needs to be dropped as well to get the
harness pulled down past it.

The hardest part will be getting the air circulation blower removed-car need
to be jacked up in the rear, and rear wheel removed. It's easiest with the
engine removed, if that is planned in the future.

Where does the heat duct enter the vehicle? Some duct to underneath the
drivers seat, or at the end of the walk thru in front of the rear floor, as
well as to the front dash air distributor.

Why do you want to remove the heater? Not cold enough where you live?
They aren't adding much more than 45 lb. to the vanagon, as well as adding
value to the car.

A very effective heater, 20,000 Btu, average 1 pint per hour fuel
consumption, ten amps draw.

OK, so I work on these things so I hate to see them removed from a good
vehicle.

It's just as much work to install it, BTW.
Have fun!

Robert
1982 Westfalia "Warmerwagen"