Hi frank,

Do you suggest removing the fibreglass insulation all together?

Hans
Cumberland, Ontario
86 Westfalia
92 Cabriolet

Frank Condelli wrote:

In a message dated 7/14/2001 8:30:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

access to back of seam above propane tank?

      Greg, you will need to remove the fridge and maybe the entire cabinet
if the rust is extensive.  What you see from the outside is just the tip of
the iceberg.  All Vanagon Westys are rusting in this location due to the
stupidity of the factory in installing Fiberglas matte insulation between the
inner fibreboard wall and the metal skin of the van.  Humidity is condensing
between the walls and there is no where for it to go but down on the floor
sill.  Since there was no drain provided for this water it wicks up the
Fiberglas and causes rusting throughout this areas especially at the floor
level and outside body seam.  Once you remove the fridge you will be able to
determine how extensive this problem is.  I just got doing one of these jobs
for a customer and I ended up removing all the cabinets and having to replace
part of the floor sill and the outer rocker panel and a portion of the main
body panel.  Good luck!

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion a VW Camper event in Almonte, June 7-10
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com