Intermittent steering could be either the rack or the pump. A clogged filter will also cause problems. the filter is located at the bottom of the reservoir. If the rack is showing signs of leakage, I would replace that first as it is worn anyway. If you can get a used pump, it is easy enough to change for testing.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:55 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Power steering failure ?

I'm interested in hearing from anybody who has experienced power steering failure.

Does the fluid level in the reservoir (behind license plate) drop?

Mine still reads OK. The steering wheel has a funny feel to it. Sometimes hard to turn sometimes not. Looks like a dark coating of oil on the left side of the rack.

The steering is worse after the van has been laid up for awhile.

Comments would be very much appreciated. This van used to handle like a dream.

Phil Menchions
'89 Westfalia