In a message dated 7/21/01 3:28:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, djs@GENE.COM
writes:

* If you need to paint the mirrors a different color, don't bother
taking them apart; merely remove the glass, mask and paint.

i just painted my power mirrors (from a '89 van, which were black) to the
dove blue to match my 84 van.
simple.
how, you ask?
go to vw dealer and buy a few cans of touch up spray paint that coorespond to
your van's color, or black (i use rustoleum or krylon satin black, works
great on all vanagon plastic)
i merely took newspaper and tape and masked off the mirror glass. no need to
remove the mirror.
i took a scotch brite pad and abraided the surface, and cleaned it w/ paint
thinner.
then i put a glove on my hand, and held the mirror by the base, and sprayed
it, keeping the mirror moving to prevent drips. hung it up by the wires until
dry.

simple, worked great.
chris