Adam wrote
Today, I tested fuel pressure.  Followed Bentley instructions = for air-cooled
2 liter. at idle with vacuum line off, it ran 29 = lbs.  with the vac line on, it ran
at 32 lbs.  Book says should be 36, so = put on new regulator, same result.
Measured fuel flow from fuel pump.  = got 24 ounces in 30 seconds..........8
ounces more than half a quart.  HMMMM
So swapped fuel pump, and discovered that the system now holds = pressure when
I turn off the key.  The old pump must've had a bad check valve.
Does all of this seem normal now, or are their other issues I have
overlooked

Adam
There are two parts to testing the fuel pump pressure and flow you seem to have = these covered.
The other aspects of this problem is = that with low flow the fuel pressure drops as the RPM is increased.
With low flow or low pressure the = engine leans out at you have a power loss and the head temps increase.
this lean fuel condition could cut the = engine life to a couple thousand miles if that. This goes for both air and water cooled
Bob Donalds
http://www.Bostonengine.com = ;

as always all rights = reserved