----- Original Message -----
From: George = Averill
To: TimcoWestyGMC@AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: Light problem

Hi Timothy,
Just saw your notice.  I also have = an 84 that has had a history of this problem.  You will find much discussion = of the problem on the server.
There are four parts to the = system.  There is a plug in module located on the left side of the chassis under the = dash.  There are one or two more modules also plugged in there.  The other = part of the circuit is made inside the temp gauge itself.  In addition, = there is a 10v regulator that plugs into the ribbon that connects the instruments = in the dash.  It looks like a transistor with three wires.  The last = part is the two electrodes which insert into the water tank.

You will find that some people say that = there problem was caused by a leak in the gasket under the electrodes which allowed  water to leak shorting out the wires giving a false resistance.

I have personally been through two = replacement temp gauges and one replacement module and one replacement electrode and I am = using a separate 10v regulator I made.  Things worked great for a while but = now I have the same problem.  My problem is that the light stays on all = of the time at times and at other times doesn't come on at all.

The light should come on and blink when = you first start, then go off.  This checks out the system.  =

I am going to try solving the problem = myself when I get time.  Modules and gauges are expensive.  It would be nice = to have extra ones to try and exchange to see what causes the problem.

Oh, the system works by sending a low = water signal on top of the temp. signal using the same wire.  That's why the = integrated circuits are needed.  Sure would have been better to use a separate = system!

Let me know how things turn out.  = Maybe we can solve this problem together.  I am going to be out of town Sunday = through Wed. of next week.  I will check back with you.

George
Cataula, GA (Near Columbus, = GA)