Dear Friends,
Last week as I drove onto the ferry that brings the V'gon to this island in
Casco Bay, Maine every summer I ran into trouble. The deck hand signaled me
to move ahead slowly; I shifted into first ... nothing. The gears did not
engage, the van did not move. I tried several times. Nothing. When I tried
revers, I heard a noise like a spoon down the disposall. "I'm cooked," I
thought. "I'll need to be towed off the boat, when we get to the other side."
But, to my amazement, I was able to shift smoothly into first, drive up the
ramp and on home, about 1.5 miles. The van has been sitting in the yard since
then. On two occasions I have fired up the motor and driven back and forth a
few feet. Everything now sounds normal.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on inside the transmission?
What are my chances of being able to drive 80 miles to get back to my
mechanic?

Please respond to my personal mail, as I am not now subscribed to The List.
Many thanks.

Woody
83.5 V'gon,  spare transmission in the basement
1964 restored Beetle for sale, $5,800
Haverhill, MA