Hi,
I am new to the list but saw all the mail on tires = recently. Not to rehash, but I saw no mention of the Michelin XCA tires which I = had mounted recently in Whitehorse to replace my trashed 205/70-14 MXT's. = The Michelin dealer there did not stock a 14" Agilis and offered me a choice = of the LTX in a LT195/75-14 93/90 with a capacity of 1470lbs/tire, which = I did not consider adequate, or the 205/75-14 XCA 109/107 which is an 8-ply rating = at 2270lb. I asked to see them both and there is no comparison if you want = beef. The XCA is bigger and heavier, excellent load capacity, and has a more traditional truck tread and stiffer sidewalls. Made in France. It is = 26.5" tall, about 1.5 inches taller than my old 205/70's, plus, with a much stiffer sidewall, they do not squat as much, so the van sits easily 1.5 inches = higher and they fill the wheel wells better. They are slightly wider/taller = than the 185-14's I have seen on some vans.

Yes, the ride is a bit stiffer, but they are much = quieter in terms of road noise, especially on the bad pavement that is so prevalent = all over the north country. Not nearly as much "drumming" on those chip-seal = roads. They also corner extremely well - less lean in corners. You can run them = up to 65lbs press, although I have mine at 46/52 and they are working great. I = had them as low as 32/40 when on really bad roads but they wander in = sidewinds at that pressure. Due to the added circumference, my speedo (which used to = read high) now reads dead on, and my odometer is slightly under-reporting miles.

Also, the van does seem a bit more sensitive to = sidewinds now, with them pumped up, probably due to the greater ride height and = sidewall height over my old 70-series, and the only other drawback I can think of is I = do not think they would be very good in snow, based on the tread pattern, which = is a traditional rib-style pattern, and the lack of an M&S rating. I know = that would preclude many from using them, but for my usage they are perfect, = and I  feel secure knowing I don't have to worry about my = tires.

I paid $170 Canadian each at a tire store in = Whitehorse, which translated into about $110 US, including mounting/balance but not tax. = Available here at Tire Rack online for $93. If anyone want a = pic let me know.

regards, john